Monday, April 4, 2011

More Interesting Meatloaf

Blah--meatloaf. One of the more unexciting meals, if you ask me. Especially if it's coated in ketchup-y weirdness. I do not love ketchup-y weirdness. BUT! There is always a way to reinvent, to think outside the ketchup stuff. Let's do that!

Here's what you need:



1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2/3 cup bread crumbs
1/2 of an onion, diced
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
a jar of roasted red peppers

The key to this is the roasted red peppers and Parmesan. Mmmm. Dice up those peppers:



Very much like all my other complicated and complex recipes: Dump all of it in a bowl.

Feel free to doctor it up with a splash of A1, a dash of worcestershire, or a little garlic powder.

Now, either form it into a loaf shape in a casserole dish or shove it into a loaf pan. If you go with the loaf pan option, lay 2 pieces of bread in the bottom to soak up the grease.



Bake at 350 for right at an hour. Check to make sure it's registering 160 degrees (that's 70C for my favorite canucks). And you're done!




Serve with PW's mashed potatoes and green beans that you've cooked all the nutritional value out of.

See:

This more interesting version of meatloaf is even suitable for royalty!


Tiny, surly royalty :)

Stay tuned for ways to reinvent the reinvented meatloaf!

1 comment:

  1. FYI...in place of the bread set the meatloaf on a rack, in particular, this was one of the uses for my broiling pan. Because my family "loved" meatloaf I always made 3 lbs (2 - 1 1/2lb loaves) just so there would be some for leftovers. This was my trick...line the bottom of the broiling pan with foil, spray the rack part with Pam and set the meatloaves on the rack, loosely cover the meatloaf with foil (removing for the last 30 min to brown). Clean up was usually easier, or maybe it was because I didn't do the dishes...also probably why I no longer make it...no one to do the dishes for me.

    ReplyDelete