Monday, February 7, 2011

Shrimp and Grits

This recipe is so good that I can't order shrimp and grits in a restaurant anymore. It is just better. Well, I take that back. There is ONE place on this earth that has better shrimp and grits than mine. This place:


It's the crabshack on Folly Beach. Phenomenal food. Phenomenal print of the place...I have one. It hangs in my office, and I know that dude that painted it. You should look at some of his work here.

Anyway...other than that, you'll have to make recipe. That's all there is to it. Plus if you find shrimp on sale, this is really an inexpensive meal. Yum...let's make it.



1 lb shrimp, thawed and peeled
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup grits
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
about 3 to 4 green onions, diced
1 lemon
1 clove of garlic, minced
5-6 slices of bacon

Start out by cooking the bacon. I absolutely have issues cooking bacon in a skillet so I use the bacon-izer and microwave it (1 minute a slice, plus a minute).


When it's done, pour the bacon grease into a skillet.



If you are talented enough to cook bacon the normal way, just reserve the grease. Mmmm bacon grease! Now crumble the bacon.


While the bacon is cooking, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Pour in the grits and let it come back to a boil.
At that point, cover the pot and turn the heat all the way down to low. This will take about 20ish minutes to cook. When they're done, just turn the heat off and throw the 1/2 stick of butter in there to melt.



In the meantime, with your bacon grease on medium heat, add the shrimp.

They only take about 4 minutes to cook. When they are mostly cooked through, add the garlic and the juice of the lemon. Delicious. Stir all that together, then add the green onion.

Go back to the grits, stir in the butter and parmesan.




That's it! Plate it up...grits, shrimp with some of the lemon/bacon gravy poured on top. Garnish with crumbled bacon. Another cozy meal for another cold, drizzly day. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I'll try it. I'm always so disappointed when the recipes I've found have some kind of cajun red sauce on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try and talk the man into having this for dinner Saturday night. It's always disappointing when I order grits out here.

    ReplyDelete