Thursday, March 25, 2010

Springy Celebrations

There's no doubt that this is one of my favorite times of year. It's definitely my favorite time of year because the world warms up, the flowers start popping up, and the afternoons last longer. And it may or may not have to do with the fact that my birthday is the same week as the first day of Spring. I'm an only child...my birthday is a very big deal to me, and I'm still confused why the mail still runs and the banks are open on my birthday. Whatever.

It's also JMom's birthday soon. This year the celebration was super fun because she may or may not turn an age that ends in a zero. I'll never tell, JMom! But to make the festivities even more, well, festive, my aunt and I gathered a large amount of gifts that, again, may or may not have equaled that same number that might end in a zero. It was so fun! I tried to disguise my half of the gifts so that she wouldn't suspect anything. It worked...she thought that I had had way too much time on my hands while decorating for spring (which is not necessarily untrue...).

Then the other half of the gifts arrived. Yep, this was gonna take a while.
But it was so much fun to do...makes me kind of excited to hit a birthday that ends in zero! JMom loved it, and Homey loved that JMom is patient enough to let her open the presents for her. Every. Single. One. Good thing there was dessert to go along with gifts! Check, check it:
The dessert buffet, complete with cake balls, based on the more intricate creations by Bakerella.
And my cake. MY cake. This has been my birthday cake for as long as I can remember. It comes from Strossners...to me, Strossners might as well be the only bakery in town, as far as I'm concerned!
And just to round out the display, I used my china. It's my great-grandmother's china, and it is perfect for spring.
And last but certainly not least is my floral sphere. Homey and I made this together right after I posted about spring inspiration. It was easy to do, and just adds an unexpected touch.
So that's how we do spring birthdays around here! I got some super groovy things that day, also, to add to my vintage glass collection. Stay tuned for everything you ever wanted to know about Jadeite!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday J-Mom and J-Buck! Love the floral sphere!!! I also just realised that I need some cake platters. I have.....NONE. Can you believe that?! Glad that you had a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gasp! No cake plates. I have a serious problem with any footed dish. I think I'm actually cut off. Such a sad story ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting one for years...just have never taken the plunge and bought one!

    (meant to say cake plate btw, don't know where platter came from ;) )

    ReplyDelete