Wednesday, February 10, 2010

More Valentines Preparation

Today, I am just starting all the prep work for the food I'll be feeding people Friday. I'm making this pie for Friday's late night dessert...even the crust, so the pie crust dough is chilling in the freezer. Pioneer Woman told me that would be just fine...

Next on my list is an old school Southern cheese biscuit. You either know what they are or you have never in your life seen such a thing. I know that I can't google "cheese biscuit" and find a recipe for this delicious treat. I can find all manner of actual biscuits that have cheese in them. This is not what we are going for. We are wanting more like a cracker, but that's not even right. A wafer? A light delicate disc bursting with cheddar flavor. Yes that is what we are making. Similar to a cheese straw but not straw-ish. And very addicting. I dare you to only eat two. I think when they're set out on a shower or reception table, you're only supposed to eat one or two. Not 14. But they are simply that good. Enough talking...let's see if we can not butcher this recipe. Like I told you, no amount of googling will direct you to this recipe. You'll have to ask my momma if you're looking for it later, and do it the old fashioned way...reading from a piece of paper instead of a computer screen:

Ready? Here we go...

Cheese Biscuits

1/2 lb butter, softened
1/2 lb sharp cheddar, grated
1/2 lb flour (2 cups, sifted)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
Pinch of ground red pepper
Pecan halves, optional

Cream butter and add cheese. Mix well, then add remaining ingredients. Shape dough into 3 rolls 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Seal in plastic and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Slice 1/4 inch wafers (see...I told you they were like wafers!). Please on ungreased cookie sheet, press pecan onto each. Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Good thing this recipe yields 90 to 100 biscuits. Some will accompany a fancy frilly lunch for a couple of ladies. A plateful will serve as an appetizer for Friday night dinner, a clever ploy to distract from the fact that the rest of dinner is in complete shambles and there's no telling when it will actually be fit to eat. Have another cheese biscuit, Darling! Word on the street has i that the remaining rolls of dough can be kept frozen until you need them. Take them out and bake them for a housewarming gift, a spur of the moment lunch with friends, or just because it's Saturday at 3pm. The all occasion cheese biscuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment